Col. Benjamin Logan and other pioneer families established Logan’s Fort in 1775. It was a fortified settlement of cabins and stockade walls, and a dug “covered-way” that provided residents access to water at nearby St. Asaph’s Spring.
Native Americans attacked the fort in May of 1777. Two persons, Burr Harrison and William Hudson, were killed during the attack.
The fort served as the community center prior to the founding of the town of Stanford, and social and civic events, such as weddings and court hearings, were held there. By 1787, the last residents likely were able to leave the fort, safely establishing their homes outside it. By the early 1790s, Logan's Fort was abandoned. Archaeologists and volunteers investigated the site in the late 1990s.
Archaeological investigations of Logan’s Fort recovered ceramics and eating utensils that date from fort’s occupation. Ceramics included delftware and redware. Late eighteenth-century eating utensils included a two-prong fork, a spoon, and a knife. A small but significant quantity of these items was found near a cellar thought to have been associated with one of the fort’s cabins.
Work in the vicinity of nearby St. Asaphs’s Spring located the entrance of the tunnel Benjamin Logan had the residents dig to insure their access to water during a siege.
Burial of William Hudson
One of the most interesting finds during the excavation at Logan's Fort was the skeletal remains of a young man who had linear cut marks on the side of his skull. These marks are the result of scalping. They helped identify the man as William Hudson, whose death, scalping, and burial inside the fort is documented in the historical accounts of the 1777 Native American siege of the fort.
Analysis of his remains suggested a muscular young man who, from the tell-tale horizontal lines on his front teeth (known as enamel hypoplasia), had experienced nutritional stress when he was a child.
Keep the Search Alive!
Learn more about the ROBOT INSERT TIME PERIOD HERE.